Thursday, February 18, 2016

Pre-Race: Davis Stampede Half Marathon

Sunday is my first race of the year.  I ran the 2015 Davis Stampede Half Marathon and there was a heavy rain the entire race.  This year will be different.  The forecast is for 42 degrees at the start of the race and just over 50 degrees when I finish.  The winds will be around 7 mph with partly cloudy skies.  I am so excited to have almost perfect weather this year.

I have finished my last training run before the race.  I followed the Hal Higdon Advance Half Marathon Plan (for the most part).  I have been substituting a day or two a week of running for hard interval cycling, which has really helped.  The cycling is low-impact, which is good for my joints, and allows me to push hard.  My training partner never takes it easy on me.  I hate him while we ride, but the truth is that I really appreciate him not taking it easy on me.  That is the only way I am going to get stronger.

The training plan has been great.  My eating has been better as well.  I have lost 17 pounds since January 1st and not only can I feel the difference, but my times show it as well.  I have PR'd my 1 mile and 10k distances since the training started and have learned how to push off with my toes and drive through my hips.  It is amazing how after running for almost 3 years, that one simple change can make all the difference in the world.

My Half Marathon PR is 1:50:20 (8:25 min/mile pace).  I am hoping to at least beat that time, but will see what I can do.  I am racing for SLS3 this year and am excited to make them proud.  There really isn't anything I could have done differently to prepare for this race.  Now I just put it all on the line and see how all of the hard work pays off.  I want to thank all of you for supporting my blog and following me on my journey. 

When I started running almost 3 years ago, I couldn't run more than 1/2 mile without stopping.  I was running slower than a 12.5 min/mile.  Through hard work and determination, I am now doing things that I would have never though possible.  Never let someone tell you that your dreams are unattainable.  Never let brain hold you back.  I have learned that the only thing that can hold me back is myself.  When I want to give up mid run/race, I just push a little bit longer.  I hope that I can motivate at least one person with my journey and my posts.  Have a great weekend and I look forward to sharing how I did in my race with you on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read feedback so feel free to add your comments or questions.