Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Guest Blog: Jordan Rung, Author of Peace with Sweets



If you are like me, then you constantly struggle with eating healthy.  I can be very good with my nutrition when I am trying to lose weight, but when I am trying to maintaining my weight, I justify poor eating with the amount of exercise I do.  I end up gaining the weight back and the vicious cycle begins. 

Jordan Ring is an author and creator of Fiberguardian.com, TwoHikersHiking.com, and his author page JMRING.  He made the decision to become healthier after receiving news at a doctor’s visit and it has resulted in tons of research, eventually leading to Jordan writing four books (The Fiber Guardian’s Favorite High Fiber Foods, The Action Diet: 35 Practical Weight Loss Tactics as Chronicled by the Fiber Guardian, Now What? Getting Unstuck in a Sticky World: How Taking Action is the Key to Unlocking Your Ultimate Potential, and his latest book Peace with Sweets: the Healthy & Fresh Way to Manage Sugar Intake and Reduce Sugar Cravings).  The following is a guest blog post from Jordan about his past.  If you like what Jordan wrote, please head over to his page and show some support.  His first book is available on Amazon from free (Kindle version). 

Hey runners,

I just wanted to start by thanking Brian for letting me have the opportunity to share with all of you. Brian was an instrumental part of the launch team for my most recent book, and he asked me to share a little bit about myself and the book here.

While I am definitely NOT a marathon runner by any means, I do run on occasion. I am also a very active person, and I always have been. I grew up playing tennis with my family, and I spent my college years tossing around a Frisbee disc. Fortunately, getting out and running around has never been a problem for me. I have always enjoyed the feeling of the wind on my face and have plenty of history ruining clothes through grass stains.

The problem? Nutrition. I used to stuff my face with chicken nuggets, french fries, and ice cold mountain dew every day after school. And then a few hours later I would eat supper. I don’t how I found the room for it all, and the “you’re a growing boy” comment was used too frequently. I should have known that that excuse would run its course eventually.

I also made the same mistake that many people do every day. I walked around dehydrated and ultimately malnourished. As we all know, your body can fight off weight gain for a while when you are younger, but after college I found out that I could not out-exercise my poor diet. My weight slowly crept up and I could not manage it through working out.

I upped the intensity of my workouts at 4-5 times per week, but never changed what I was eating. I continued to eat pizza, drink soda, and load up on junk food. Looking back, I wonder why I never stopped. I truly wonder what was going on in my head that led me to continue destroying my body like I did.

My metabolism was catching up with me big time and all of the junk food was finding a solid place on my 6 foot 4 frame. Since I was that tall, the weight was spread out, and I always had multiple people tell me “hey you’re not fat, you’re just a big guy.” Well, 260 pounds is not healthy even at 6’4.

I needed to up my water intake substantially, and replace many of the foods I was eating on a regular basis with healthy ones. I knew what I needed to do, but I just struggled to do it. I could not, and would not, make the change I knew that I needed to make.

It finally took a moment in time when my doctor told me I needed to make a change and that I was officially “obese.” I started down a new path right away. Upon her direction I researched and started on a high fiber diet, and never looked back. There were setbacks along the way, of course, but that day changed things for me.  I became dedicated to living a different kind of lifestyle; one that was geared towards healthy living and healthy choices.

Fast forward to the present day… I am as healthy as ever. I am still active, but I choose my diet much more carefully. I am able to indulge once in a while in a piece of chocolate cake and not get bent out of shape. I can eat my wife’s delicious triple chunk brownies and not feel guilty.

My philosophy is one in which we can still eat the foods we like, if only we can learn balance. Balance in regards to eating is one of the most difficult things to actually do. Because we are constantly tempted to eat poorly, we must always be on guard and have a plan.

My book; entitled “Peace with Sweets: The Healthy & fresh way to manage sugar intake and reduce sugar cravings”, describes how to construct that plan.

In it, I share the methods I utilize to crush the sugar beast and at last find peace with sweets. 

Begin your journey towards sugar reconciliation today.

There is no reason why your addiction to sugar needs to get the best of you. If you are truly willing to see a change and want to come to a point of peace, it is possible.

If you have any questions or would like to read more about me, go to my author blog page at www.jmring.com. I would be glad to connect with you.

His book, the Peace with Sweets: the Healthy & Fresh Way to Manage Sugar Intake and Reduce Sugar Cravings, does a great job of explaining different types of sugars and how your body breaks them down in a way that is easy to understand.  I really liked how Jordan helped clarify how to read labels.  Companies have become very sneaky in how they disguise sugars with cute names, so what you think is healthy is still using bad sugars.    

Jordan goes into which foods are good and bad as well as food prep and how to make a plan to beat the “Sugar Beast.”  I hope you like the book as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read feedback so feel free to add your comments or questions.