Monday, January 4, 2016

2016: Getting back on track



Last year, I had a great half marathon PR, ran my first full marathon, and found my ideal race weight.  Somewhere along the line, I lost my way and started overindulging with food.  I also stopped doing my core workouts and strength exercises when my marathon training began.  I became less flexible and gained 27 pounds.  Basically, I became more injury prone.

I decided after my full marathon that I was going to get back to my ideal race weight, which is around 168 pounds.  Here are the steps that I am taking to get back into shape: 

1) I have started to follow the Paleo Diet.  I eat lean meats, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds.  No grains, dairy, legumes (beans), soda, or peanuts.  I am a little flexible when it comes to eating this way.  I will enjoy my kid’s birthday parties where we will probably have pizza or some other yummy treats, but will try to stick with Paleo foods for the most part.  The best thing about the Paleo diet is that there are plenty of carbs for running and I am never hungry. 

2) I started a Facebook Group (Getting fit with RWI) where we can all encourage each other along our paths to become more fit in 2016.  I provide a workout of the day (WOD) and there is a general question or two (i.e. what is your favorite inspirational quote, what is your favorite core exercise, etc.).  There will even be some giveaways here and there. Please feel free to join the group.  

3) I am doing a DietBet.  This is where you pay a fee (mine was $35) and you have to lose 4% of your bodyweight in 1 month.  You can make money by just losing weight.  If you lose your 4%, you will at least get your money back.  DietBet does take out a fee, but I still have made money in the past and it really held me accountable.  I am in the “January Jumpstart” DietBet.  

4) I signed up for 3 half marathons so far.  One in February, one in March, and the other one in July.  I am following the Hal Hidgon Advanced Half Marathon plan.  It is intense, but I love it.  I will be signing up for at least one more half marathon, trail run, and full marathon later in the year.

I started the new year weighing 192.8 pounds and I am already down over 5 pounds.  This is just from cutting out soda and artificial foods, working out, and drinking more water.  Let me know what you are doing to stay fit in 2016 and good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read feedback so feel free to add your comments or questions.