Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Topo Athletic MT Trail Shoe Review



So it has only been about 2 weeks since I wrote a product review on the Altra Instinct 2’s.  I wrote about the benefits of a zero drop/low drop shoe and the wider toe box.  I also stated that I might have found the perfect shoe for me.  While I love my Altra’s, I may have found its replacement already, at least for some of my runs.

Topo Athletic recently sent me a pair of the MT trail shoe to review.  They are great looking shoes, have a low 2.0mm. heel drop, which is low enough to make running in an ideal running form easier.  The MT also has the wider tow box just like the Altras.  It can be used on the road or trail with ease.

A little bit of history on Topo Athletic.  Tony Post was the President of a large shoe company and has over 30 years in the shoe industry.  A year and a half ago, Tony started Topo Athletic with the desire to create a shoe company that would help you train smarter.  He didn’t like how most shoes squished your toes, which is where the wide toe box comes into play.  He wanted to make a shoe that was nimble and allowed you to stay connected with the ground (i.e. feel the ground as you run).  Topo Athletic strives to make the best shoe available and welcomes customer feedback on how they can improve.  So now let’s get back to the MT’s.

My initial reaction is that the shoe looks great and felt great right out of the box.  My only initial concern was that there was not as much cushion as I was used to.  That concern was quickly squashed though.  I have been on three runs so far with the MT.  I went on two road (one fast and one easy) runs and a trail run.  The shoes felt amazing.  They were very quick on the road and had the perfect amount of cushioning.  The MT is also very light at around 8 ounces.  When I went on my trail run, I was running up granite outcroppings and felt like I was completely connected to the ground.  I never felt like I was going to slip and the material was extremely durable.  On multiple occasions I caught my toe on the granite and was worried that I would tear through the shoes outsole.  They didn’t even have a scratch on them.  They are a snap to clean as well.

The Topo MT retails for around $100 on the Topo website.  Give them a try and you will not be disappointed.


3 comments:

  1. I always appreciate thorough reviews as I buy many of my shoes online. Thank you. I was able to try on a pair of Magnifly's at the expo in Boston and I really liked them. I used caution/frequently posted advice - to not run an event in untried equipment, but came close. How close is the original MT, reviewed here, in fit and feel to the Magnifly? Considering them for an upcoming 50k instead of Altra Lone peak 1.5. Welcome your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The original MT is out of production now. The MT2 is a great shoe and is similar to the Magnifly in many regards. My favorite trail shoe right now is the Altra Lone Peak 2.5'season. I think the MT2'same would work well for you too though. It really comes down to what feels better on your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IL TOPO = THE MOUSE, IN ITALIAN

    ReplyDelete

I love to read feedback so feel free to add your comments or questions.