Friday, October 16, 2015

Listen to your body!



I have been increasing my mileage with my marathon training in full swing.  Last weekend I ran 8 miles faster than my goal marathon pace and 17 miles the following day.  I would be lying if I said it didn’t take toll on me.  I stretched throughout the day after my long run.  I even went on an easy bike ride the following day to stretch out my legs.

I felt completely fatigued and had a pinched muscle on the top of my foot, near my ankle.  The fatigue lasted for 4 days.  I decided after my bike ride that I needed to just take a few days off to recover.  I wanted to make sure I was ready for the longer miles.  I had an 8 mile run yesterday followed by an 18 mile run today. 

On my 8 mile run I made sure to take it easy so I didn’t wear myself out for my run today.  The rest really helped.  I was able to keep a constant pace without stopping and really felt strong.  If I would have followed my plan, even though my body needed a rest, I would have probably injured myself and would not be able to do my long run this week. 

I am in my 11th week of training for my first marathon, which consists of:

Monday: Cycle 15 miles
Tuesday: Recovery/Rest
Wednesday: Recovery/Rest
Thursday: 8 mile run
Friday: 18 mile run
Saturday: Recovery/Rest
Sunday: Recovery/Rest

Sometimes you just need to check your ego at the door and take a break.  If you miss a training run (shorter runs are not as important as the longer ones) it won’t derail your training.  I will be going on vacation next week and plan on running while I am gone.  I used to try and run through injuries and now I see why they say that you need to listen to your body. 

2 comments:

  1. From the moment I started going to this Streetsville chiropractic clinic, the Chiropractor immediately made me feel comfortable and confident in her ability, has always been respectful of my time and has been happy to answer any questions I've had along the way. I couldn't be happier and I highly recommend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. a Chiropractor can be a very valuable tool and I know tons of people who go religiously and have had great results for long term, debilitating injuries.

      Delete

I love to read feedback so feel free to add your comments or questions.