Monday, November 9, 2015

I am my own worst enemy, when it comes to nutrition.



When it comes to my training, I can be my own worst enemy.  I will very rarely skip a run and sometimes will add a few miles to a run if I am feeling good.  When I am not training for a race, I am usually trying to lose weight and get back to my ideal running weight, which for my height is about 167-170lbs. 

I tend to eat really good at times but I also justify eating a lot of food that I shouldn’t eat.  I am a sucker for ice cream, pizza, chips, and diet soda.  All my wife has to do is say the words “pizza” or “ice cream” and I shake my head yes.  I have gained about 13-15 pounds since I PR’d my half marathon in February.  I am not saying that I am upset with myself or that I cannot achieve my goals because of the weight gain. 

I recently read an article that for every 10 pounds you lose, you will be 20 seconds/mile faster.  I can feel the extra weight in my knees, lower back, and ankles.  On the up side though.  I am getting stronger every week.  I ran 8 miles at race pace on Saturday night and almost set a half marathon PR on Sunday night.  Despite being about 13 pounds heavier than I want to be and running on tired legs, I am able to run very well for 13.1 miles. 

I have made it to this point through being diligent with my training and knowing that I can achieve great things, as long as I push myself.  Before I started running, I was never good at anything athletic.  I was okay, but never excelled at anything.  I will be losing weight after my marathon in December and plan on breaking my half marathon PR in 2016. 

I am in my 15th week of training for my first marathon.  It consists of:

Monday: Body Pump (cross train)
Tuesday: 5 mile run
Wednesday: 8 mile run
Thursday: run 5 miles or cycle 15 miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 5 mile tempo run (at race pace)
Sunday: 20 mile run

I will probably never be as diligent with my eating as I am with my running.  I need to be able to enjoy life and to me, that includes enjoying good food.  After my marathon, I will be going on the Paleo Diet for a little while and then enjoy my comfort foods in moderation.  The Paleo Diet has worked great for me in the past.  I never felt hungry and the pounds came right off.  I have a big week ahead with my training.  I am peaking this week and plan on giving that 20 miles a good butt whooping.  I will let you know how it goes.  Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read feedback so feel free to add your comments or questions.