Thursday, November 12, 2020

The comeback story, kind of (part 1).

I have to apologize that it took a little longer for this post.  I wanted to polish it up more than the last few posts.

So, I took from Christmas of 2018 until mid-April of 2019 off from all physical activity.  It was so hard from so many different perspectives, but I was ready to finally get over my Plantar Fasciitis.  During my time off, I realized that my primary way to cope with stress is physical activity and binge eating.  With physical activity off the table, I went from 185 pounds during Rio Del Lago to over 200 pounds when I was ready to start running again.  I was eating… a lot.  I definitely felt like a part of me was missing when I couldn’t run.  Then I looked in the mirror and realized that there was more of me than there was before.  Time to get back on the training bandwagon, including Keto.  For me, it is partially about weight loss initially, but I have had huge success with inflammation reduction and increased energy on keto, or running fat adapted (High Fat Low Carb, which allows more carbs per day).

Here is the blessing from taking that time off running.  I jumped into volunteering with our local race companies with both feet (okay, I already was volunteering as much as I could) but really used that to get me through my low points.  I was dealing with loneliness, tons of stress, and some depression. 

Doing Trail Work on the Western States Trail near Robinson Flat in 2019

When I started running again, I couldn’t run for more than about a minute without having to walk.  I was starting over from scratch.  I did know it would come back faster, but didn’t know how long it would be.  I would progress slowly as I was concerned of reinjuring myself or pushing too hard, too fast.  I have done enough research for blogging, to know that I should just take my time in getting back into race shape.  I started to just run with the goal of having fun.  I would leave my house and knew I had 2 hours.  I would run and take random roads, put on some random music, and just enjoy.  I was running (that may be a little generous) with no foot pain for the first time in almost 3 years.

Even being really careful, I would have some minor issues including inflammation in my knee (Pes Bursitis) from overuse, hamstring strains, IT Band tightness, and even a torn calf.  I would do great for a month to 6 weeks and then the next weakest part of “my chain” would break.  This is common with runners coming back from injury as well as new runners.  As you strengthen your weak areas, lets say your ankle…your shin would start to take more stress and you would get shin splints.  Then maybe your IT Band.  Eventually, you have strengthened and trained your muscles to move like a runner, or whatever you are training for.  I just had to get my body to function like a runner again. 

I eventually got to that point again with my running.  I was doing a lot of camping.  I found out that I could get a folding memory foam mattress and camp in the back of my van near Tahoe (in paid spots).   It was easy and really comfortable.  I was going to places that I hadn’t been to before including Broken Arrow (Squaw Valley) where I volunteered and got to run last place runner (I'l have to make sure, but I believe his name is Kevin) from the top of the mountain all the way to the finish line.  He was a beast and I even have a picture of him and I on my wall-of-fame (a collection of people who have inspired me in running).  I might have to share “the wall” someday.  He wanted to quit, but didn't and earned his finish. 

2019 Broken Arrow Finish

I also volunteered at 2019 Tahoe Rim Trail 100 and got to drive one of the shuttle vans.  I knew people in the first 3 shuttle loads and met awesome people all day including driving some of them down to Carson City.  It was the coolest experience.  Then we set-up black lights and decorations at Diamond Peak Aid Station for the all night (quiet) party. 

The 2019 Tahoe Rim Trail 100 Start

I ran/hiked the Lost and Found 35k, which was my first official race back.  I had signed up for the 50k, but asked to drop down in distance because I didn’t feel ready.  A couple of us camped there the night before the race.  Because I always volunteer with E3, we put some finishing touches on things and I headed to the van.  The course is near Interstate 80 on the way to Reno and goes up Castle Peak to Basin Peak and back. 

Climbing back up Castle Peak during 2019 Lost and Found 35k

The Monarch Butterfly migration was happening at the time and there were thousands of butterflies everywhere.  It was so incredible, and I got to share that with Johanna, a running friend and teammate at Single Track Running and her friend Gigi.  I was slow, but able to make it.  The next day, I had to fly to LA for work and met Rebecca and Andrea for a run and lunch.  It was a great run.  I even ran the following day on Venice Beach.  I knew after that, I needed to take a few days off to just be safe and not push much. 

I got to run with Andrea and Rebecca (part of the Ginger Runner Crew) in LA

I didn’t run for the next two days.  The third morning, I had to take my suitcase from the hotel room to the car before my final work training.  I hopped off the curb weird and that’s when I tore my calf.  It just felt like a pop, but it was that simple.  Hopping 6 inches down off of a curb, are you kidding me???  I’ve run long distances, on technical stuff, sometimes really scary and it’s a curb.  I’m not trying to complain, Its actually just funny. 

My next adventure was something I was looking forward to for a long time.  I had dropped from the Javelina Jundred, which I had entered and paid for.  I knew I couldn’t responsibly train for it in time and dropped to the Jackass Night Run.  That meant I got to crew for my friends, and some new friends too.  It was so much fun just crewing and hanging out supporting my crew.  The whole trip was much needed and I even got to visit the Grand Canyon and Vegas on the way back.  That is when I decided that I was going to sell the house.  Roughly around November of 2019.

Got to see my buddy David finish the 2019 Javelina Jundred

Grand Canyon - It got down to 19 degrees...and snowed.  Oops!  It was a 3 sleeping bag night.

Grand Canyon - I tried to run, but it was so beautiful, I stopped every 10 feet.

I kept training after that and ran my first race again in February of 2020.  My first ultra was the 2017 Salmon Falls 50k.  I ran the 2020 Salmon Falls 50k again with my buddy Jeremy.  We took it easy for the first 17 miles and I had to try and push a little because my legs were starting to stiffen up.   Just by picking up the pace a little, I found a nice comfortable pace I could push, but not lose energy.  It was my all-day pace (for that day).  It was faster than I had expected, and the cool thing is that whole day, all I was focusing on was having fun.  I was saying hi to all my friends, taking extra time for pictures and chatting at aid stations.  Something that I wouldn’t normally do if I was worried about my time.  I am a big advocate for having a plan going into an aid station normally.  This day was all about celebrating my feet being pain free.

SF Pic

I pushed hard until about 2 miles from the finish at the notoriously hard levee section.  It kills me every time.  It’s just a flat levee, but the wind and after almost 30 miles…it just sucks!  I cut considerable time off my course time from 2017 and felt great…until that night.  That inflammation in my knee, Pes Bursitis, came back.  It only took 3-4 weeks to recover from, but it felt so great to run a race again. I was so excited to run the Zion 100k in April of 2020 with my buddy Jeremy.  Then COVID hit…

I will pick the rest of this up in a day or two.  I hope you enjoy the recap so far.   Below are pictures of my van setup.  One day I dream of having a Sprinter van.  

Plenty of room for gear and the memory foam mattress.

My cuddle buddy at the TRT100 (yeah, right...there was no sleep to be had)…and no I don't run the generator in the van.









1 comment:


  1. Nice Blogs, Thank you for sharing the information. USA Sports Therapy Clinic's Physical Therapists & Chiropractors are certified in Orthopedics & Sports Chiropractics.. To know more for Physical Therapy treatment Midtown and Physical rehab therapy Midtown ,

    ReplyDelete

I love to read feedback so feel free to add your comments or questions.