Monday, November 2, 2020

The end of an era, the big race and Plantar Fasciitis wins.

So lets go back to when I went off grid, in terms of the blog (Summer 2018)…

About 2 years ago my wife and I decided to separate after almost 10 years of marriage.  I will not go into any details out of respect for her, and because quite honestly it isn’t anyone’s business (sorry?).  She’s an amazing woman, great mother and we co-parent very well together.  I had my faults in the relationship, as we all do in all relationships.  I have loved the opportunity to really focus on how I can be better in all aspects of my life since that point, even though that type of self exploration is usually not very comfortable. 

So in the two months leading up to my race, we were living apart.  I will share this because it was funny (she thought so too).  We had the house and rented a 1-bedroom apartment and would swap.  Yes…just like the show Splitting Up Together.  It actually was better than we both expected, and we wanted to minimize the impact to the kids.  That’s all I will say about that.

I was getting my training in on the days when I didn’t have the kids.  I had what I call a “unicorn race” because there were a few things that I had to work through, but it went so much better than I expected.  I got my 100 mile buckle and most importantly, my ex brought the kids out to see me finish.  It is still my happiest moment, running across the finish with youngest two and my oldest cheering right near the finish line.  My whole inspiration to run 100 miles was to show them that there isn’t anything you cant accomplish if you just put in the work.


After the race, I tried to keep running and even signed up for Miwok 100k and Javelina 100. I got into Miwok.  Unfortunately, my Plantar Fasciitis was getting much worse.  I wasn’t taking care of my feet and after 2 years of trying everything, and I mean everything, I was unable to even keep a 14-15 minute pace on a good day. I was always in pain and it was about time I practice what I preach.  It was time to stop all physical activity for 4 months.

YES!!! I said no physical activity for 4 months.  No swimming, no biking, no hiking, no strenuous walks.  I tried to eliminate running and only cycle, or only swim in the past.  It never healed fully but it did help for a few weeks.  At the end of 2018, I started my break from running.  I was up for a promotion at work, which I got, but finances and overall stress were starting to build.

I am going to move ahead for a little and jump back to tie it all together, so hang with me… I was able to start training again after about 4 months.  It was like I had never run before; I had no endurance.  I couldn’t run a mile without stopping.  I don’t even know if you could call it running honestly (in my mind).  The cool thing is that for the first time that I could remember, there was no pain in my foot.  It was scary and I was trying to be cautious.  I had a number of injuries in my return including a calf tear, back issues, turf toe, and pes bursitis in my knee.  I would have an injury, take a few weeks or so to rest and start again (doing PT in the meantime).  I worked through the weak spots. 

I was working with a Physical Therapist and doctor about all the issues as I was coming back and knew these injuries were common.  I knew I wasn’t going to race Javelina, but I am a part of this amazing community of runners (the Ginger Runner Crew) and a bunch of us met and hung out all weekend, cheering and supporting runners (crewing, pacing, entertaining).  More on that in another post…

The GR Crew waiting for our runners to come in.  Best time ever!!!

It was one of the most amazing trips.  I stayed at my Aunt and Uncles in Palm Desert on the way down and we chatted for hours.  They let me crash there last second when my previous plans fell through.  I got to run on some amazing trails around Phoenix with my awesome friend Chris (@aktrailrunner) and after the race I went to Meteor Crater and the Grand Canyon before seeing my friend in Vegas and heading home.  In my head I knew all along that I was probably going to have to sell the house.

Chris B. and I ran the Sidewinder Trail.  My first run in Arizona.  Love it there!


I held on to the house for as long as I could, working with the loan company.  I did have equity in the house, but the thought of trying to sell it was too overwhelming with work, being a scout leader, and everything else.  I also had to get rid of 20+ year of shit (yes, I admit it).  Not like on those hoarding TV shows, but how many freaking chemical sprayers or why did I still have the weed whacker when we had artificial turf for the past 5 years? 

I had exhausted most of my savings and maxed my some of my credit cards (for one more freaking time in my life).   I had reached out to Zillow who makes cash offers on houses.  I tried this in the past with other companies and they always offered half of the appraised value.  This all started I before my trip to Arizona, but I hadn’t heard anything back from Zillow yet.  If this didn’t work, what was I going to do? 

They made me an offer and even though, it was less than I wanted, it would have sat on the market for months like the houses around me.  I couldn’t afford to wait so I sold to Zillow and I will say that I had a great experience.  I picked a 2 bedroom apartment closer to my ex and our biggest fear was if my moving wouldn't allow the kids to stay in their school.  We got the transfers so they could stay there until middle school.  YAY!!! 

So… tomorrow we will jump back to when I quit running at the end of 2018, to rehab my Plantar Fasciitis and the places that took me.  I am not just sharing random bits of my life for no reason.  Just remember that its always important have some fun and do things outside your comfort zone.  Turns out you might like it.  


My Costume at 2019 Javelina Jundred: Captain Hook with Inflatable Alligator. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read feedback so feel free to add your comments or questions.