Wednesday, November 18, 2020

The comeback story, kind of (Part 2) and my Grand Canyon R2R2R Recap.

So, its been a few days again… I will split this up. Part 1 is about my self-exploration into being a better person. Part 2 is a recap of my big goal event for 2020, the Grand Canyon Rim2Rim(2Rim) with a link to the video I put together of our adventure. I hope you enjoy.

Part 1: 

I dream of the days when things slow down again. I know I am fortunate to have a great job, or a job at all right now. I have seen my workload more than double in the last year and even more since COVID started. All my self-reflection over the past few years has been really difficult. I would go on runs or hikes by myself. I always made a point of having fun, first and foremost. When you are running 10-20 road miles every Tuesday evening because it is the only time during the week to get in significant training, it gives you some time to think as well. Might as well put that time to good use. 

I realized how I let PRIDE and EGO change me over the years. I knew I wanted to be a better person and knew that I needed to tackle it, no matter how hard it was going to be. I have learned over the years (a topic for a different day) how to take a deep look into my life and see which parts of my life I’m okay with and which parts, I’m not. I can justify my way though anything, like most people, but that won’t get me where I want to be. I needed to put in the work, and still do. 

Working on your Pride and Ego as well as trying to be an overall good person is a lifelong pursuit. While I have had many-a-run where I have cried… like seriously, ugly-crying as I’m running down the sidewalk. You can laugh if you want, I think its funny now. Luckily, it was later at night when it was dark, and nobody was around. Through that pain, I also have become more comfortable with myself…just a little bit. 

I have always struggled with feeling like “I’m enough” which I am getting better with. I have friends that I love to see, but the reality is that if I didn’t reach out to my friends, how many would actually contact me… in a week? A month? Longer? I work so much and when I don’t, I am with my kids. In the rare instances I do have free time and can get away, I am usually running around, trying to pack in as much as possible. I want to do more stuff with friends and family in the future, which is one of my new life goals. 

I am trying to focus on myself to be a better father, friend, son, etc. Not that I was bad before, but there were things that made me happy when I was younger like calling my relatives on their birthday, without exception. Or opening a door for random strangers (during non COVID times 😊). I saw a Facebook post about there are two types of people, the type that take the cart back to the corral and the type that leave it in the parking lot somewhere. It’s the little things…that make me feel better about myself. 

Part 2: 

The last section on the South Kaibab Trail before the Colorado River

Okay, so now that is out of the way, my big goal race/event for 2020 was a trip with my buddies to take on the Grand Canyon in something they call the Rim2Rim2Rim. Its where people of lower intelligence, like myself, decide it is a great idea to start at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon (elevation about 7,000 feet), go all the way down to the Colorado River (elevation about 2,500 feet) where there are a few bridges, cross and go up to the North Rim (elevation about 8,200 feet)… Then just for sh!ts and giggles, they turn their happy butts right around and head back to the Colorado River before climbing back up to the South Rim. In total it ranges from about 42-52 miles depending on route and if you get lost. We were shooting for around a 46-mile route with over 12,000 feet of elevation gain, which would be the most I’ve ever done. 

Pictured Left to Right: Jeremy Payne, Ben Mitchell, Tim Felker, and myself.

My friends and I had an awesome trip, starting with the 12-hour drive to get there. Jeremy and Ben started the Auburn Area Trail Runners Facebook page, which is how I found my first group trail run back in late 2016, I believe. Our friend Tim was also running it and runs with Jeremy and Ben more than I do. We had a blast with funny commentary, a stop at the Nevada Proving Grounds (where we saw a money that actually went into space… it didn’t make it back alive, but you get to see the taxidermized monkey. It was weirdly cool) where there apparently was a crashed UFO. Well worth the $5 entry. Unfortunately, no photography. I know… 

Museum at the Nevada Proving Grounds, and my van done up right!

We got to the Grand Canyon on Thursday Night and had a steak dinner. We got to explore the South Rim on Friday and see where we were going to park and run the following morning since we were going to start at 4:00am and it would be really dark. We shopped for souvenirs, ate, and tried to get to bed early. They all slept okay. I couldn’t sleep and ended up getting about an hour total. There were people drinking in the parking lot and their conversation was pretty loud. I’m sure there was some fear and anxiety, which I usually never get before a race. 

Steak Dinner on Thursday night with the crew.

We got up and all I wanted to do was tell them I will meet them at the finish or even meet them on the North Rim with Lunch because I was afraid of holding them back, afraid of being under-trained, afraid of not getting enough sleep, and honestly, I was the weakest link in the chain (and I knew it). It is something I am used to in running, but I don’t really mind. I just appreciate being included and didn’t want to burden my friends… and I was terrified of the vert. That place is HUGE. 

We parked and started right on time 4:00am. Anyone that knows me would be impressed by how quickly I got ready. I was proud of myself 😊. We parked at the Bright Angel Trailhead or the street parking near there. We ran up the 5ish miles to the South Kaibab Trailhead where we would start our decent. I felt great and while I was a little slower at the start, I usually need about 4-5 miles before my legs wake up. That morning, it only took 3 miles and I felt good. A not-so-quick stop at the bathrooms before we headed down into the canyon led to some funny conversations I don’t remember with strangers. It was still dark. 

The initial decent on the South Kaibab Trail was amazing.  This was about 5:00 am.

One of the coolest things was descending on the South Kaibab Trail and looking up to see a string of lights above you on the switchbacks. The trail down was technical in spots, but beautifully runnable in most areas, if you could focus on running and not the views. We got to see the sunrise and I cant wait to see it again from inside the canyon. We made it down to the metal suspension bridge over the Colorado River. It was so cool. You run through a tunnel onto the bridge. Then there was a mule train headed up the way we came so we had to stand flat against the wall as they went by. One of the mules took a dump, literally, 3 inches from my foot. I was so excited that I got it on film, but I hit the wrong button on the GoPro Max…the only time I did that the whole trip. 


I was a little excited to see the river.

Ben and I were taking pictures and video at this spot for a while.  It was amazing!  The bridge comes out of the tunnel on the other side of the river.

We made it up past Phantom Ranch and eventually the easy meandering trail started to get exposed and hot. Then we started to climb. I was doing okay, but intentionally had slowed as I had felt a recurring hamstring niggle. I was okay but didn’t want to overdo it. Eventually I started getting the early signs of heat stoke and eventually stopped sweating and had goosebumps. I had been hydrating but had recently been also resting under every shady spot I could find. I wasn’t worried though. As an experienced (and I use that term loosely) trail runner, I know that I can manage most issues that I come across if I stay calm and access the situation, which I did. That was about 3 miles from the top of the North Rim. I had also been having minor issues trying to get my lungs full enough, it felt like, but. I figured it was just due to the altitude and heat stress and figured I would be better when I rested at the top with my sandwich. I was managing and knew I could make it to the top. This wasn’t the first hot “death march”. 



Powered by Altred: I started taking AltRed, which are Betalain pills.  It is what you are trying to get when you eat or take beet juice powder, but more advanced.  They help me perform better, recover faster, and I have been able to verify these with my personal results... for years.  Click here to read my full review of AltRed. Go to the AltRed website (https://sur.co) and use code "bgoldman-altred" for 15% off every bottle if you are interested. 
  
I was able to fully overcome the heat stroke through hydration and resting. The breathing wasn’t getting better and I was having to stop more frequently even though my heart rate was under 120 bpm. I figured I was just bonking and needed to get to the top, which was less than a mile away. With 20 feet to the North Kaibab Trailhead, I took a 5-foot detour to the side so I could puke before I came into view of the crowd of runners/hikers that were resting. The nausea came on so suddenly and I think my body held out as long as it could. I am so proud of that mother f*er (my body if that wasn’t clear). I am in complete amazement of what my body was able to endure to safely get me to the top. We still had over 22 miles back to our car and there wasn’t an option to stay overnight anywhere. We were 28.3 miles in with 6,378 feet of vert for me at that point. 

Man do I look good here!

I couldn’t stop puking either. Any drop of water or food would come right up with everything else I had that day. I knew I need to try and get a ride back to the South Rim, or as close as I could get. If I was able to rally somehow, I would run back. My friend Jeremy was my partner in this adventure and he was having some issues as well. We had buddies that would stick together just in situations like this. I felt guilty as hell, but Jeremy assured me he wasn’t ready to run back. He did do more miles later that night though. 

We got to see the Vermillion Cliffs while being driven by Scott back to our van.  They were so red and amazing.  We also got to see Marble Canyon and go over the bridge.

Luckily, we were able to secure a ride from Scott, a retired engineer, who was working for the National Parks Service designing and building a new water system in the canyon. He drove us 6 hours to our car. It should have been 4.5, but I we had to make 6 more pure stops on the way. He gave us an amazing tour of a part of Arizona we wouldn’t have seen if we didn’t drop. He also knew exactly what was wrong with me the second I explained what I went through... Altitude Sickness! The funny thing is I had been getting minor cases of it all summer when I would run or hike at altitude. Who knew? 
   

Sometimes its okay to look at the positive in situations. I am excited to go back and take on the Grand Canyon. Tim and Ben finished the Rim2Rim2Rim and I am proud of those beasts! Way to go gents! Jeremy and I want to go back eventually, without a doubt.  Here is the video of our trip.  


So… for the future… Let’s leave that for the next post. I will share about my weight loss, where I am at emotionally, and my big plans for 2021. See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read feedback so feel free to add your comments or questions.